Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Snapchat in the Classroom


There were a few items stood out to me from the Dennen, Rutledge,
Bagdy, Rowlett, Burnick and Joyce (2017). I was pleased to read that
Snapchat was the most used app. I really enjoy this app and I have been
trying to figure out ways to incorporate it into my classroom lessons. I
would like to create a channel for my class. I have not done formal
research, but in what I have read and observed, students of this generation
like to read headlines and see quick clips to get their information. I operate
in a similar manner in that I rely on Snapchat and CNN alerts to keep me
informed. I also found the point about social media serving as an informal
background check before students pursued other students. I think this
offers support for the online dating community and presents a benefit of
meeting someone online before you meet them in person. I was most
fascinated by the concept of context collapse. I never considered this
before, but it was so relatable after reading about it. It also affects the way I
conduct myself on social media. As a student and teacher, I hear and
preach the importance of keeping public social media accounts
appropriate as potential employers may check them out when you are
interviewing for a job. I can’t remember once talking about the presence
of multiple of my circles in one “place”. This definitely is something I
consider when choosing pictures and captions to post on Facebook.
Unlike the students, I do experience context collapse on this platform,
which may be indicative of my age. However, on my Snapchat, I do not
have such a mix of “friends” and similar to the students in the study, I
post content to Snapchat that I want to share with a small group of my
friends and my network does not include family or co
workers/employers. I found it funny that students did not want their
family to follow them on social media because they were worried about
them posting embarrassing things. In my case, I’m more worried about
my family seeing something I do not want them to. I also found the
comment by the one student who wished her family followed her to get
to know her better very interesting. As I mentioned in my last blog post,
I do think that people may share more of their true selves (as well as
their imaginary/perfect selves) online than they always do in person. I
also found that comment sad that she felt more comfortable expressing
herself through the internet than in person, though I do think many
people feel that way, especially when it comes to controversial topics
like politics. 

1 comment:

  1. We were a bit saddened by the student who wished her family followed and knew her better.

    I entirely understand why teens want to avoid what family members might post about them. Apparently it's become a thing among middle schoolers to go searching for the accounts of classmates' parents to find something old and embarrassing posted about the classmate (embarrassing being relative -- we were all 2 once and smeared food all over our faces, etc.).

    ReplyDelete

Keeping Students Safe

Dennen’s draft article provided a clear list of issues and solutions for the use of social media in the classroom. The passage on safety, pa...