Monday, July 16, 2018

Knowledge for the People, By the People

Going off of my last blog, I like the idea of having an open forum that allows the free exchange of education. I dream of hosting lectures that are open to the public like Stuart Hall did in Birmingham in the 1960’s. My roommate asked me yesterday if I enjoyed teaching college students and why. I told her I did because I enjoyed teaching but also learning from others. With younger children, teachers are often feeding information to the classroom and the return of that information is limited because of their cognitive abilities. I think that open/discussion forums allow for different perspectives and often unheard points of view. Though in-person forums allow for people with access to transportation to attend, social media allows for those with access to technology to “attend”. The Konsti-Laakso (2017) article reminded of the Dennen, Rutledge, Bagdy, Rowlett, Burnick & Joyce (2017) article from last week. There is so much potential for people to learn from each other through social media platforms, even if they do not consider it or are not aware that they are learning. In my opinion, the C2C relationship is the most important of the three described by Konsti-Laakso (2017) as I think people learn best when they have an active role in their education. I find it interesting that the G2C was talked about without mention of the impact of social media at the hands of our current administration. From what I observe, without looking for support in research, this administration has been the most active on social media platforms, namely Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I could not agree more with your statement about learning. I know that I had my school education that was primarily passive, and the active education that I pursued with friends and on my own. It's difficult to gauge which had the greatest impact, but I believe that it was the combination of the two. I fear that for my students (high school) we have taken over their lives so that ironically, though they live in a day and age in which they can learn to do just about anything they set their minds to on their own, they don't have the time to do it because of the requirements of school.

    Your last question left me wondering. I think you will find this article from 2016 interesting given all that has transpired since: https://www.npr.org/2016/11/18/502306687/commander-in-tweet-trumps-social-media-use-and-presidential-media-avoidance

    ReplyDelete

Keeping Students Safe

Dennen’s draft article provided a clear list of issues and solutions for the use of social media in the classroom. The passage on safety, pa...